Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A super-fast healthy Indian dinner

This was the quickest meal I have made in a long time. I started up the rice cooker with sugam brown basmati rice.

We had in the frig:
-tons of pre-washed baby spinach (that I washed again once)
-pressure cooked toor dal (yellow lentils)
-1 chopped onion
-grated ginger
-organic lemons

I had forgotten how yummy freshly squeezed organic lemon juice could be.

With the spinach, I made a raita:
1 tsp sesame oil, on the stove and do a "tadka" with a tsp of jeera (cumin), add some "heeng" (asaefotida). Add the grated ginger (about 1 tsp). Add the spinach leaves before the ginger can turn brown. Saute for a minute. Turn the gas off. Add rock salt (not regular salt), for a twist. Add fat-free plain yoghurt to it when it's cooled off a bit. This is courtesy our friends from our old neighborhood, S and S, who make this often.

Dal:
After this, I sauteed the chopped onion in a tsp of sesame oil. Added the cooked yellow toor dal. Added 2 cups of water, and some salt and turmeric. WHen it boiled, turned the gas off And added about 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. And some chopped cilantro on top.

This was amazing with brown rice.

No comments: