http://www2.oprah.com/relationships/
webmd/200712/relationships_parenting_cooking_b1.jhtm
Wonderful wonderful article.
The way homes are constructed in America the past 15 years or so - open plan, kitchen in perfect location for communication between family room and kitchen and breakfast table to be enabled, is a sort of feminist victory, I think. Compare kitchens in India with these. The ones in India are closed, and the mom is usually isolated here with the maid (if she's lucky enough to have one). Makes communication really hard within the family, at a time that it's most feasible (no school, no work). I think it says something about the status of the woman in the family, because she's most likely the one doing all the kitchen work. AN open layout encourages the family to cook together.
Cooking with kids is so much fun. It takes a lot of patience, because there's greater mess, more cleanup later. But if you recognize the fact that there's deep learning and bonding going on through the whole experience of cooking with your kids, it seems like you're accomplishing much more than just a meal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
you broke your own resolution in the same post... twice
Yes - I think nothing says "responsible parent" like saying "children" (instead of "kids" :) ).
--Deepa
p.s: My friend K commented that I had gone off the deep end with this, but there's something very un-beautiful (!) about colloquialisms. Or, that's how it seems to me today.
Post a Comment