Friday, June 20, 2008

Cucumber cream cheese sandwiches

From oprah.com. I'd use the very yummy fat-free Philadelphia cream cheese. Perfect picnic food.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 whole wheat loaf of bread, cut into 1/4-inch slices
* 2 pounds Philadelphia fat-free cream cheese at room temperature
* 1 English cucumber, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch dice
* Mint leaves from 8 stems, cut in strips
* Kosher salt and black pepper


Fold cucumber and mint into cream cheese. Season with salt and pepper.

Build sandwiches by spreading a 1/8-inch layer of mix between bread slices. Remove crusts, then cut into quarters and serve.

2 comments:

sankaran ramani said...

I heard this broadcast over the radio.
Mango karaichal. [no cooking over stove]
tamarind paste 1/2 teasp mixed in 1/2 cup water
ripe mango pieces 1/2 cup
green chilly 1 chopped
sounf 1 teasp
cumin 1 teasp
salt to taste
sugar 1 teasp
water 1 cup
tomato chopped 1
mix everything together and blend with fingers.
Iate it with phulka.

sankaran ramani said...

For this I used hung curd instead of cheese.
I made 2 very thick rotis.
In 1 cup whole wheat flour, I added 2 teasp butter milk,salt, 1/2teasp sugar and made a pliable dough with water. Make it into 2 balls. Sprinkle flour on the board and using fingers make a thick flat roti. Heat a tawa. Place the roti on medium heat. Press it with a damp cloth and cook it on both sides. It will fluff . Take it from the tawa, make the other one the same way.
Spread the mix of hung cheese,cucumber and chopped mint,on it,place the other roti on it. Cut it into 4 pieces and eat it with or with out tomato sauce .