My mom's of the view that if you have to do something anyway, do it with flair. She's extraordinarily creative, and everything she does is like a work of art. And science.
I learnt as a kid from my mom, that dosa while being poured on to a stone, needed a different temp stone than the poured batter did that needed to be cooked. A dosa poured straight on to a too-hot stone gets cooked as you pour it, making it hard to shape it as desired. Rotis, on the other hand, need the hottest possible stone. Julia CHild is a bit like my mom in her desire to understand why things are done a certain way.
And then there's my husband, who loves to cook, and does so "with emotion" as he calls it! I enjoy cooking with him, as rare as it has become!
Julia talks (like my mother does) about viscosity and separation of fluids, and makes things make sense.
What's more, Julia Child FAILED her first attempt at cooking college (as I would have!). She then set out to find "true meaning" as I now have! So there. Soul mates, all of us here.
However, the guy who's absolutely my main inspiration to cok withand for, is my 7 year old. He reads recipe books like they were amazing stories. Creative salad dressings we've come to love have been his ideas - such as olive oil mixed with sambhar powder and tamarind paste.
I was recently inspired by my friend Arundhati's food blog. http://chefatwork.blogspot.com/
The pictures and recipes and her little essays there really got me excited about cooking.
I am inspired by Ellie Krieger's show: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ellie_kriegers_healthy_recipes
I also enjoy http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea
He's funny, and often talks about nutritive value, and is the sort of person I enjoy hanging out with (nerdy, dry wit).
I am enjoying learning about various cuisines - and excited there's SO much I have not yet explored...
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Awesome blog, I am going to bookmark this page! Sheetal
Welcome to the world of blogging. What pic did you put up? Can only see Arnav's.. and profile pics and side bar pics are small
Thanks for inspiring me, Arundhati!!! I come to your site several times a day for recipe ideas and planning. I have to figure out how to use sitemeter and also set up an account in picasa...
Deepa
Deepa, thank you very much for your wonderful comments in my blog. You also have a very good and informative blog here. Why haven't you registered with TOI RSS feed:
http://www.connect.sailusfood.com
By this way your posts will be updated as and when you update your blog and you will have a lot of visitors.
Post a Comment